May 7th – Official Release of Just Like You

Just Like YouWell, after lots of hard work and tons of support from friends and family I am happy to announce the official launch of “Just Like You”. I hope that you take a moment to see exactly what all the talk is about. I am thrilled to share this book with many children and families.

My inspiration for this book? My life. It’s that simple. I have taken what I have learned both in helping my children through anxious moments as well as myself. Anxiety is very real, very debilitating and very manageable as long as you have support.

Here’s what “Just Like You” is all about:
Brooke is a little girl who likes to paint and play and laugh with her friends just like you. Sometimes for her life can be a bit scary. Things that she does every day can make her feel sad, lonely and afraid when she should be happy. She has a secret that she wants to share with you. Do you want to know what it is?

Let’s get talking about our mental health and let’s help others to know they are not alone.

A very big thank you to everyone for your unwavering support. Thanks to Sharon Pickering for her great illustrations.

Visit our “Store

7 Responses to May 7th – Official Release of Just Like You

1. Jill Braido says:

Darlene, I cannot put into words how comforting it is to me to know that there are other children and parents that are dealing with this. My daughter Sheradyn started showing symptoms in headaches and upset stomach when she was 6. She was always the kid that had a hard time making a decision, never wanting to hurt anybody’s feelings. It really became a major issue following the death of my Mother, when it was so bad she was missing a day a week from school. I took her to an eye doctor twice, then the family doctor who referred us to a pediatric neurologist. Testing followed and it was determined that these were tension or stress headaches. My husband questioned that, wondering what a child could be stressed about. I answered it’s not that she is facing major things everyday, it’s that the everyday things she faces are major in her mind. Sheradyn is now ten and has gone through CBT, group sessions and is now back in individual counselling. It is amazing how much I have learned as a parent about helping your child cope with anxiety. I say most days she is like a van balancing on the edge of a cliff teetering back and forth. How I react with her when she’s in that state will determine whether she rights herself or topples over the cliff. There are absolutely things I would have done differently when she was young. One of our local school boards asked me to come and speak to teachers at a workshop on what it is like to have a child with anxiety and some of the things that I know now to watch for. Sheradyn has also said that she would talk to other children about anxiety, how she thinks and worries about things and how to recognize how those thoughts affect her physically. I’m very proud of her and she has never shied away from speaking with her friends about it. Anyways, I will definitely be getting your book for her. She knows she is not alone in this battle, but this definitely will give her some more support..There is so much work that needs to be done to raise awareness around anxiety and mental illness in children.
    thank you so much for the work you do, Jill Braido

2. Getta says:

Your work is appreciated. As a parent who has watched her child suffer through anxiety I can tell you today that there is hope!
    My son started suffering anxiety and panic attacks at an early age and it got progressively worse. I sought help through my doctor, who sent me to a pediatrician, who wrote a script for Prozac. I ripped it up and never went back. I found a therapist who specialized in cognitive behavioral therapy and that worked a bit, but it was hard for my son to express his feelings. His saviour was a wonderful YOGA therapist who worked with him twice a week for many months. He learned to relax, recognize the onset of physical symptoms and deal with them on a mental and physical level. She was amazing and her techniques worked. He finally understood what was happening to him and he now had coping skills that worked.
    My son is now a teenager and he has, for the most part, overcome his anxiety and he is thriving.
    Do not give up on your child – ever. Find the right therapy that works!

“Just Like You” is an amazing tool I wish I had.

3. admin says:

Thank you so much for your kind words of appreciation. I am so happy for your son because having involved and understanding parents is so amazing for them. This post warmed my heart today and make what I am doing so worth it. Thank you for sharing a piece of your life with everyone.

We are building that village and these kids with shine.

4. admin says:

Jill thank you so very much for your post. It sounds like Sheradyn has an environment that is supportive of her needs and understanding of her challenges. She is very lucky to have you. It is imperative that we are upfront about how debilitating anxiety can be for kids. I am super proud of her ability to talk to people about her anxiety. That in and of itself makes it not so scary anymore.
    I would love to have her write up a little review of the book. One of my thoughts was to get 100 hearts and 100 hands to review this book. So if she’s willing I would love for her to put her hand print on a piece of paper and write her thoughts on the book. No need for a name on there unless she wants to and then send it to me in the mail. That would be spectacular. I am building my village of support hand in hand with these kids.
    Let’s never stop talking about it and I am so thankful that you felt comfortable enough to share with us a little piece of your life.

Thank you so very much.

5. Debra says:

Amazing work here…I am in my late 30′s and began suffering anxiety at age 5 upon entering school, and it has plagued me my whole life and to this day despite all I have accomplished and have achieved. Imagine my concern when my youngest at age 7 told me he didn’t want to go to school anymore as no one liked him as he was a bad person (I have worked hard to hide my own anxiety, where did this come from?). I enrolled him in Acting classes where he thrives through expression and now suffers minimal anxiety and I have taken inspriation from that. Continuing the conversation in forums such as this is so important. Thank-you.

6. Gloria says:

I was so happy to find this website after reading a story about aniexty disorder in children. I’m a parent of an 8yr old daughter who suffers from aniexty. She was diagnosed almost 2 yrs ago. She have showm some sumptons of this illiness longer than that, but she was not diagnosed until around 6 1/2. Her symtpons increased after expericing 3 major loses in our family. She is currently receiving cognitive therapy which have shown some improving, but many times she will not open up and talk about her feelings. She has now started covering her face more when going out places and avoiding eye contact. It’s a very difficult situation to deal with. However, I’m not giving up & after reading the previous post(s) I felt much better knowing there are other people going thru or have gone thru the same thing I’m experiencing now. I would love to purchase the book, however when I click on the order tab, I get an error message. Would love to get a copy of this book

7. admin says:

Gloria, thank you so much for sharing a bit about your life here at the blog! There are so many great resources out there. Check around the site and see what we’ve used to help our daughter. YOu are so on the right track though. It is a balance of patience and support and by you just being here Gloria you are showing her how much you support her. You are right – do not give up. That’s what the book shows us too; never give up on these kids.

We are all here to support each other.

Thanks for being a part of my village.

Darlene

Talk It

Powered by WordPress | Designed by: best suv | Thanks to toyota suv, infiniti suv and lexus suv